Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:50:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      jason+freebsd@kanda.com
To:        sunny dale <s.dale@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysqld doesnt spawn child process

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, sunny dale wrote:

> - is it multithreaded on *bsd only? i have a mysqld on a linux box
> running which spawns child processeses.

Its all to do with threading libraries, take a look at:

  http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/faq.html#K

To summarize, LinuxThreads (threading library used on Linux) creates a
seperate process for each new thread, therefore each thread is viewable
through ps & top etc.  FreeBSD creates real threads (ie. not processes)
therefore they are not visible through process viewing tools as they are
not processes ;)

> sorry if my questions are being stupid. i still am a newbie.

Don't worry about it, I was also a bit puzzled by this :)

Jason