Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2018 03:51:46 +0000
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: De-orbit Allwinner A10/A20/A31 for 12.0

So now that Kyle has volunteered to look after A20, I'd like to
continue this thread:

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 10:32:48PM +0200, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
>  I want to remove A31 support for FreeBSD 12:
>  - My A31 board (BananapiM1) just died today after a long time of being
> my arm32 reference board.

Is someone willing to pick up A31, or should we still phase it out?

>  - I don't want the code to stay like the old 32 bits rockchip or
> amlogic code that can't even boot nowadays.

I think this would be a good time to drop support for things that have
gotten into this state.  Do you have a complete list?  Does anyone else
have any objections?

fwiw, I've updated the wiki to note that A20 will continue to be
supported, and A10 probably will be.

But there are still a number of boards listed there as "supported" that
probably have not seen updates for years (specificially, some of the
development boards).  I'd rather let people know what we recommend for
new arm users.  I expect RPi, Pine64, OrangePi, and BeagleBone to be
in that list ... are the CubieBoard and WandBoard still popular?

What do people think?

mcl