Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:31:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        "Michael S. Fischer" <michael@dynamine.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bpf problem with lo0 interface

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Michael S. Fischer wrote:

> Running 4.0-STABLE, I seem to be having difficulty getting any of the packet
> capture/analysis tools (with the exception of tcpdump, which prints the
> headers correctly) to give me packet _data_ information when I sniff the lo0
> interface.

I don't know about tcpflow, but tcpshow doesn't handle NULL layer
links (lo0, tun0, etc...).  In fact, I think it only handles ethernet
type link layers.  Sorry, you are stuck with 'tcpdump -x'.

For what it's worth, I wrote a program to print packets for just this
reason.  It is 'packetdump' and is hidden in:
   http://www.frenchfries.net/paul/tcpstat/tcpstat-1.3pre.tar.gz

(after compiling it is in the src/ directory.)  The output may not be
as tcpshow yet, but it gets the job done.

-Paul.