Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 15:06:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!FreeBSD.ORG!freebsd-questions, ponds!worldnet.att.net!JeffAyres
Subject:   Re: fvwm startup

> Could someone please help me with this problem starting fvwm, it is a
> repost of a previous question to which I haven't received a response.
>
>  Because the second disk on the 2.1.5 FreeBSD was damaged CDROM
>  replaced the
>  disks with 2.2.1 FreeBSD.  The 2.1.5 version worked great, xdm and twm,
>  no bugs.  However many programs were not available.  The following
>  patches were necessary in order to start xdm and twm using version
> 2.1.5
>  FreeBSD.
>  In /etc/rc.local, the following was added:
>
>          echo -n 'starting local daemons:'
>
>          # put your local stuff here
>
>          /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm && echo -n ' twm'
                                           ^^^^  That should say "xdm".

>  The following .xsession file was added
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  #
>  # .xinitrc - X Windows initialization file, FreeBSD/twm version.
>  # Wes Peters; 05/25/95
>  #
>  # Run .profile to make sure we get the environment setup correctly.
>  #
>  . ~/.profile
>
>  TZ=MST7MDT; export TZ
>
>  #
>  # Start clients - just a terminal window to start with.
>  #
>  xterm &
>
>  #
>  # Start a window manager - twm to start with.  This program becomes the
>  # 'session manager', exit from it to logout from X.
>  #
>  twm

   ^^^ This should change to fvwm95 (or fvwm95-2 if that's what you're
running.)

>          Starting from a "clean" slice I wish to install fvwm95.
>  Installation
>  of the window manager program fvwm95 using the above commands is not
>  working.  fvwm95 replaced twm whenever it appears.  The symptoms are
> the
>  xdm
>  login screen appears allowing login.  Then a blank screen appears, no
>  window, only the fvwm95 menu appears after clicking the right mouse
>  button (default menu and exit buttons).
>
>   The error message in the -xsession-errors file reads
>        Fvwm-95: in function Read: <<error>>file ' .fvwm95rc' not found
> in
>   $HOME or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95
>        Fvwm-95:in function Read: trying to read system rc file
>        Fvwm-95: in function Read:<<Error>> file 'system.fvwm95rc' not
>   found in $HOME or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95

 What are the values of $HOME - perhaps that's the problem?  Also,
even though it says "not found" - it could be that you don't
have proper permissions on the files.

>  Both 'system.fvwm95rc' and '.fvwm95rc' are present in the $HOME
>  directory.

 Do a "chmod 755 .fvwm95rc"

 Furthermore, if your running fvwm95-2 - the name of the file is
.fvwm2rc95.

>         Also, there is recurring error message, ' XF86_SVGA pid ###
> tried
>  use non present SYSVSHM '  the message is displayed whenever logging
>  out.
>
>          Could someone please help me to setup the fvwm95 correctly and
>  remedy
>  the XF86_SVGA error message?

 This message indicates that SYSV-SHARED MEMORY isn't present in your
kernel.  The GENERIC kernel shipped with the product doesn't have
then enabled; as it consumes too much space to fit in the floppy
boot image.  It is completely safe to ignore...

 When you want, you can build your own kernel with SYSVSHM, etc..
enabled (see the LINT configuration file in /sys/i386/conf for information
and examples.)  That will clean up this message.

>                                                  Thanks,
>                                                  Jeff Ayres

	- Dave Rivers -