Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:25:02 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "ak@freenet.co.uk" <ak@freenet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is VMWare under FreeBSD?

I'm not happy witih the performance of VMWare on a 'single processor
machine', but I've currently only got a PII-450 on my desk, with 256MEg of
RAM and SCSI drives.  I just picked up a dual-celeron 466 for home, that
when the second chip comes in, I'm going to see if that helps (ie. VMWARE
hopefully grabs an idle CPU) ...

On a PIII machine here in the office, we've also noticed that the machine
'hangs' periodically with an IDE drive ... it appears to be when Windoze
decides to do some serious disk trashing, but tha tone only has 64Meg of
RAM, so the memory available to VMware is very small.

IMHO, I figure putting the VMware "file systems" onto its own disk should
help some, and, hopefully, a second CPU will help some too ...

stability wise, I've been most happy with it ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org