Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:55:29 +0200
From:      Marcin Gryszkalis <mg@fork.pl>
To:        Freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   partition recovery

Hi

I have a problem with UFS partition
(I can't access it). I'll tell you the story:

there was windows 2000
[                  ntfs                     ]
I made some place for FreeBSD
[         ntfs          ][  ufs=ad0s2       ]
I created slices
[         ntfs          ][( s2a )( s2b )... ]
after some time I removed win2000 - and just
did newfs on first partition (no repartitioning,
no slices - only newfs)
[        ufs=ad0s1      ][( s2a )( s2b )... ]
after some time I wanted to install debian GNU/Linux
(this is test-box)
[    ufs=ad0s1=hda1     ][swap=hda2][ext2=hda3]
and here something bad happened during installation
(few reboots/kernel panics and so on)

Now I cannot mount ad01s/hda1 partition -
  - linux sees it as NTFS partition, more -
it CAN mount it as NTFS (and I can even see
some windows files!)
  - freebsd can see it as UFS but cannot mount
('bad magic number' or bad superblock),
using backup superblock
(-b 32) doesn't work.

What can I do to recover data from the first partition???

regards
--
Marcin Gryszkalis
http://fork.pl