Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2011 04:39:40 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        "Gary Jennejohn \(FreeBSD\)" <gj@freebsd.org>, Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hooking /usr/ports/graphics/gnash to /usr/ports/www/firefox ?

Hi,
"Conrad J. Sabatier" wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 05:32:42 +0100
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
>
> > Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> > > [snip]

> > > plugin for FF could be of use to you.
> >
> > Does plugin = remote compiled binary ?
> > If so I'd rather not thanks (security).
> >
> > With
> > 	/usr/ports/graphics/gnash
> > I can now run eg
> > 	 gnash /xp/WINDOWS/Help/Tours/mmTour/segment5.swf
> > & firefox3 will play the top video on youtube.com.
> > but firefox3 still refuses on
> > 	http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16252407
> > Maybe different levels of flash.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian
>
> For starters, I'm wondering why you would prefer gnash over the
> official flash player.

Source code, free to inspect or enhance/search whatever.
No need to trust proprietary binaries.

> But anyway, you might try symlinking /path/to/{gnash}
> to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/{same_name}.

gnash already works on youtube.com, but not on bbc.com

ls -l `which gnash`
  -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1814 Dec 27 15:54 /usr/local/bin/gnash*

cd /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/gnash ; ls -la
  drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel     512 Dec 27 15:54 ./
  drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel     512 Dec 27 13:21 ../
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  350968 Dec 27 15:54 libgnashplugin.so*

> The gnash player will not play all flash videos properly (I know, I've
> tried it before).

I supposes version compatabilitty is a constant moving target.
It's what I've been wondering, whether
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16252407 used a newer flash
format than youtube.com.  (But I could not find a URL on BBC to download to
inspect)

Gary J cc'd told me of existence of /usr/ports/www/youtube_dl
(as flash if downloaded then playable with vlc & mplayer & inspectable
with 'file' etc). I suppose ideally I need a bbc_dl port :-)
Maybe the 3 www/*_dl will give me clues.

> You'd do *much* better to install
> www/linux-f10-flashplugin11 and www/nspluginwrapper.

I've been avoiding non localy compiled binaries till now.
however just installed.

> This does require
> linux emulation to be enabled, of course,

Got emulation installed thanks.

> but it's well worth it.  I
> play flash videos all the time now in firefox and chrome, and it works
> splendidly.

Hmm. Tempting.

> Also, on YouTube, if you enroll in the HTML5 Beta test, many videos on
> YouTube will play without even using the flash player.

I wasn't particularly targeting youtube, I never browsed it
till now, though they do have some FreeBSD talks to watch.
I was just looking for a source solution to random periodic
flash references I get in mail, & happened to notice gnash.

> See
> http://www.youtube.com/html5

That lists firefox 4, not in ports-cur/

Thanks for the info :-).

> HTH
> --
> Conrad J. Sabatier
> conrads@cox.net

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".