Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:34:28 -0700
From:      Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM crash? questions pt.2

Update..... Thanks to suggestions from Nick Himba I tried the following:

# dd if=/dev/rwd0s1b of=/dev/null

Did that several times, no errors.  Got 1,153,740 bytes/sec

Then I booted into single-user mode (swap partition not swapon'd) and tried:

# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/rwd0s1b

Again, no errors. It was incredibly slow though!  122,064 bytes/sec
I thought urandom may be a bit slow so I tried

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0s1b

And got 197,955 bytes/sec. Pretty cruddy for a Quantum Fireball in Mode 4
on a fairly new EIDE controller, no?  But anyway, on with the program...

Then I tried newfs'ing the swap partition.  No errors, ran a couple fsck's.
Then I mounted the partition on /mnt and did:

# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/mnt/bigfile

And bingo, the computer locked up.  I rebooted (off floppy, more about that
below) back into single-user and remounted the swap part after fscking it,
the size of /mnt/bigfile was around 31 MB (the swap partition is 65MB).

Couple things I noticed:  when my AMD 486/120 went to CPU heaven I put in
an Intel DX4-66 but I don't think I got the jumpers quite right because the
BIOS reports it running at 80MHz.  A long shot, but I'll fix that and see
if it helps any.

Second thing, when I crashed the machine by creating /mnt/bigfile it seems
to have smacked the BSD bootloader :P  I have a "dangerously dedicated"
partitioning scheme, how can I put the bootloader back in place?  Somewhere
in /stand/sysinstall?  Luckily I have a 2.2.6 boot disk, I booted the
kernel from its bootloader with

boot:  0:wd(0,a)kernel

Thanks,
Skye