Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:58:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        delphij@gmail.com
Cc:        delphij@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/151722: kldload on 8.1-RELEASE memorystick fails

+ Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen
> <hanche@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> > There are only one small problems with that explanation: There is no
> > solaris.ko there. (I had in fact tried that first, since that is the
>
> It's opensolaris.ko, not solaris.ko here.

Ah. Yeah, that thought suddenly hit me. I did look for the wrong ko.

In any case, "Exec format error" is a seriously misleading error
message in this case. "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that" would be
better.

+ Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>:

> For geom_eli.ko you would probably need zlib.ko and crypto.ko.

That thought, too has dawned on me.

> I think some message would show up in console 2 (kernel messages, etc)
> but the message might be referencing the module's symbolic name, not
> the filenames.

Ah. It hadn't occured to me to look in console 2.
Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow.

- Harald