Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 09:16:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blt2.1

> Yeah, I understand.  You have a choice of either limiting the port, or the
> package.  It would be nice to a choice for package users, but I just don't
> see it being all that practical.  My personal choice is to limit the
> capabilities of the package users, because that at least serves the least
> common denominator, and I think that those who bother to do their own
> compiling deserve more functionality.

The least or most common denomimator? :-)

FWIW, it was always my intention to make the port a "superset" of the
package, so the package user got a canned "this is what we think
you'll like" version and the port user had more flexibility, if such
flexibility was available at all.

In the second generation, the package should have different "flavors"
to it, which you can examine or select from the adding tool.  If you
ask for the developer flavor, it gives you that copy of its insides.
If you ask for the stupid user flavor, it makes the appropriate
changes.  The "flavor" scheme is also how it'll be possible to have
one package with FreeBSD, NetBSD and Linux binaries in it, each doing
the right thing automagically when unpacked on one of those platforms.

But I get somewhat ahead of myself here.. :-)

						Jordan