Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:39:21 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Richard Coleman <rcoleman@criticalmagic.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pax in /rescue

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:26:09 -0400, Richard Coleman <rcoleman@criticalmagic.com> wrote:
> M. Warner Losh wrote:
>> : BTW, could editors/e3 be include into /rescue?
>> : I think it's ineed to have a text editor to edit some file for rescue.
>> : Because vi(1) lives in /usr/bin.
>>
>> /rescue already has nvi.
>
> But this is only partially useful until the root partition/termcap issue
> is finally fixed.
>
> It comes up on the list about every 6 months, and everyone says "yeah,
> we should move the termcap file".  And that's where it sits until the
> topic comes up again in another 6 months :-)

I'm working on it.  The ideas from the last discussion about allowing a
minimal termcap in the root filesystem, and modifying ncurses to look
for that as a fallback are nice...

See the thread in freebsd-current that includes the posts:

!A 2008-08-05 [  28: Alex Kozlov         ] Re: termcap under single luser
!  2008-08-06 [  32: Alex Kozlov         ] Re: termcap under single luser