Date:      Sat, 14 May 2005 22:39:39 +0200
From:      Juergen Dankoweit <Juergen.Dankoweit@T-Online.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Summary of Adam's GNOME on BSD talk

--=-/VQqLbwe9ZdDSbWAuAL9

Hello,

Am Samstag, den 14.05.2005, 15:39 -0400 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:

> <opinion>I wish more people would have attended.  I really feel we've
> done a tremendous job with GNOME on FreeBSD, and Adam did one hell of a
> presentation.</opinion>
>=20
> Joe

First of all: YOU DID and DO a great job! Thanks for it.

That only a few people attended to the BSD talk are in my opinion the
following points:
- the usability of Gnome 2.x has decreased since Gnome 1.4, e.g. the
association between files and applications; how do I make an association
between a StarCalc-File and StarOffice. With Gnome 1.4 it was easy:
mime-type editor. On Gnome 2.x ???
Yes you can say right mouse button and so on. But the entry is not
"StarOffice - Calc", it is "staroffice". That looks awful! And how do I
remove such an entry???
- Adding fonts: How? Command line?=20
- Adding entries to the applications-menu in an installation script;
How?
- problems in using gettext in self-written applications (currently I'm
fighting with that in an own application without success)

I know it is not FreeBSD specific, but Gnome 2.x does not have such
acceptance because of some points I wrote above.

Why do I use Gnome 2.x? I love Gnome! I remembers me on the OS/2-GUI
"Workplace Shell" :-)

Best regards any again many thanks for porting Gnome to FreeBSD

J=C3=BCrgen Dankoweit

--=-/VQqLbwe9ZdDSbWAuAL9

--=-/VQqLbwe9ZdDSbWAuAL9--