Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 18:08:22 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount_mfs with softupdate generates panic

Hi,

In an attempt to speed up the make buildworld procedure, I decided to
try using memory disks to get as fast filesystem access as possible.
I used the following command to create the memory disks.

mount_mfs -s 614400 -o -U noatime,async /dev/da0s1b /usr/obj

The command was then repeated, but with /usr/src as mount point.
The memory disks was created succesully, but any attempt to use any of
them panics the machine.
For example, when trying to move the sources to my newly created
/usr/src, the copy process runs for about 15-20 seconds and then crashes
the box with the following message on the console:

panic: handle_written_filepage: not started
mp_lock = 00000001; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000

syncing disks... panic: handle_written_filepage: not started
mp_lock = 00000001; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
boot() called on cpu#0

In my attempts to trouble shoot this I have tried different variations
of flags to the mount_mfs command.
With or without the noatime and async flags makes no difference, the
size doesnt seem to be an issue, different swap devices doesnt change
anything, but the -U flag to enable Soft Updates does.
No matter what combination of flags, sizes or devices I use, -U always
panics the box when I try to use the disk. Without -U, all combinations
of flags seems to work just fine.

Ive been able to reproduce this error on 2 different machines, both
running 4.4-STABLE.
The machines are both dual machines with 1G ram, all high quality PC133.
One of the machines uses IDE drive as swap device, the other uses SCSI.
I dont think this is a bad RAM issue, since I can create and use memory
disks if I leave out the -U flag.
My uname -a from one of the machines:

FreeBSD rocky.ljusdal.net 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #1: Sun Dec  2
09:55:19 CET 2001
root@rocky.ljusdal.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/FREEBIE  i386

Has anyone used memory disks, with softupdates enabled, succesfully?
Any idea what I could try to pinpoint the problem here?

Any suggestions appreciated.