Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:18:22 -0800
From:      Anthony Noland <aknoland@mindspring.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fd0 not found on 5.0 Alpha

I have an as1200 w/ FreeBSD 5.0 Release installed. I have reviewed the
dmesg log and find the floppy controller has been detected. I have not
been able to get the floppy drive detected/running nor have I been able
to use MAKEDEV or mknod as the /dev/ directory will not permit me to
write. I have su'ed to root and removed write restrictions to /dev/ via
chmod u=rwx or 777 and while the permissions do change I still cannot
write to /dev/ to create the floppy devices. I get the error "Operation
not supported". My only other thought is to compile the device into the
kernel but since I have never created a custom kernel I am not sure if
this is my problem or the correct solution. Has anyone seen this problem?