Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:23:17 -0500
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anybody have an ALPS printer working?

   Hi gang,

	Does anybody have an ALPS printer working? I have an MD-1000
   that I am trying to get working with the ALPS drivers in ghostscript.

	I have verified that the cable works, by using it to drive
   a deskjet, I am not getting any errors, but I don't get any output
   either.

	/usr/local/libexec/alpsfilter is pretty standard:

        exec 3>&1 1>&2
        /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=md5k  \
        -sOutputFile=/dev/fd/3 - && exit 0
#
        /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=md5k  \
        -sOutputFile=- - && exit 0

	(I tried -sDEVICE=md2k as well).

   There is no indication that the printer "sees" any data - no whirring,
   clanking or buzzing that these printers seem to go through. :-(

						Thanks,
							Bruce