Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:53:22 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
To:        hooptie@shazzam.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pulling my hair out!

hooptie wrote:

> I am having problems with both PPP and PPPD in FreeBSD 2.1.6, and am
> totally lost.  I have researched the man pages, followed the tutorial on
> www.freebsd.org/tutorial/ppp, been helped by people in #freebsd on IRC,
> and even talked to tech-supt at cdrom.com to no avail.

Have you looked at the ascii version of the handbook on your fbsd system?

	hint:  /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.ascii

Lots of good stuff in there.

> For PPP:
>
> I setup /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, ppp.linkup, ppp.secret, and /etc/resolv.conf
> with the correct information.  I go into PPP, and start the term -- I
> can log in fine, and the PPP session starts.  Netstat -rn returns that a
> defaultroute HAS BEEN ADDED.  Unfortunately, no outside systems are
> reachable, and I can't even ping localhost anymore.  Without PPP
> running, pinging localhost works just fine.
>
> For PPPD:
>
> I setup /root/pap with my username and password, /etc/ppp/options for
> the PPPD options, and /etc/ppp/connect for chat.  PPPD will dial and and
> the modem will connect; however, I get the ambiguous error "cannot setup
> a connection".  I've tried +ua to get it to login PAP, and get the same
> error.  I have modified that chat file (/etc/ppp/connect) and tried
> every possible login combination, and have yet to succeed.  To make
> matters worse, -d and debug don't seem to work -- the only output to
> /var/log/messages is "cannot setup a connection".
>
> Now, after three headache-ridden days of utter frustration, I am nearly
> bald.  Does anyone have ANY ideas what could possibly be going wrong??

Sounds like a routing problem, dns, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf

Can you send some copies of your files?  I* use kernel ppp, not user
level ppp.

Have you recompiled the kernel and left out ppp?

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088