Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 19:14:08 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com> writes:

>I'd keep the "current" mailing list, since there's always one of those,
>but I'd phase out the "stable" list.

My proposal would be to set up 2.1, 2.2, and 3.0 lists immediately.
By announcement, etc. I would encourage EVERYONE to use the new
designation. However, for legacy purposes, I would then make "stable"
a mail alias for both 2.1 and 2.2. After a transition period, I would
drop 2.1 from that alias. Eventually, we could "bounce" messages to
"stable" with a note to post to either 2.1, 2.2, ... as appropriate.
In a similar manner, I would make "current" an alias for 3.0.

The initial membership of both 2.1 and 2.2 would be the present "stable" list.
Participants would be notified to unsubscribe if they are not interested.
The initial membership of 3.0 is the present "current" list.

Each time that a new branch is officially created in the tree, I would
create a new list for it. At that time, I would "seed" the list with everyone
who was on the previous head list.

Rather than calling the list associated with the head of the tree "current",
I would chose a name such as "development" or "experimental". It would be
created at the time of the 3.0 branch and, thereafter, be "permanent".
Further branches would generate new lists 3.1, 4.0, etc.

>  The problem is that there are currently two -stable branches and:
But there is only one "2.2" branch :-)
Further, if you started running 2.2 before its first release, and are
still running it, I see no reason why YOU should have to change lists.

>The only issue I see is how to populate the new list that is created
>when a branch is added.

Clone the old list. Let people who don't want both unsubscribe. IMHO, it
is better to send someone too much than to simply cut them off.

One nice feature of this scheme is that when "stable" and "current" age
into bounce status, they can supply customized messages directing the user
to the appropriate list. "The current release of FreeBSD is 2.2.2. General
questions should be addressed to ... Questions about the behavior of this
particular release should be addressed to ..."

Richard Wackerbarth