Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:54:47 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Freebsd vs. UPS

Hello Alfred,

> Check ports, there should be some stuff to talk to APC power supplies.

There are some ports:
bkpupsd
upsd
upsmon

> you could probably jury rig it so that several servers talking over
> the network could be informed from the main server hooked to the
> UPS that power was going down, perhaps by using ssh keys you could
> run shutdown on the other machines.

I had that idea but I don't like it because this would require to
have ssh keys for atleast the operator group (or do those just have
the right to do reboots? root keys would be even worse) on the servers,
not something I'd consider to be safe in any manner...

Guess I need to get that UPS first. Is there, on the software side,
any difference between the small desktop one and the heavy stuff?

Best regards,
 Gabriel