Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 00:20:51 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Brian Wehrle (Volt Computer)" <a-bwehr@microsoft.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with laptop.

At 06:14 PM 1/15/98 -0800, Brian Wehrle (Volt Computer) wrote:
>Using the boot.flp I can get my system to boot the kernel, but just after it
>boots the kernel, the screen goes blank.
>>From here on I cannot do anything, I can, however, flip to the debug console
>and back.  The last debug output shows a probe
>retuning a device not found error.  I tried using the color reverse function
>on the laptop, but to no avail.
>This is a NCR 3150 486 with 4megs of Ram.  Any ideas ?  I'd like to turn off
>the color (maybe it is trying to use colors in text mode that don't display
>correctly ?) or something else with the screen.
>Thanks
>Brian

You didn't say which version of FreeBSD. I know that somewhere between
2.1.5 and 2.2.2 (2.2.2 is excluded), some video cards have problems. My
laptop, using  a Chips & Technologies 65548, had this problem. I followed
the advice of someone on the PAO page with the same problem:
1. tell FreeBSD to use a serial console (-s ?)
2. disable system console driver at the kernel config
3. install using serial console
4. build kernel using vt220 console driver

I had this problem using 2.2.1, but when i upgraded to 2.2.5, the problem
went away.
--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page