Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 17:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        root@netpc.com (root)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP Server

root writes:

> Can anyone help with the setup of how to have bsd answer the phone lines
> and take ppp/slip/cslip connections . i have 2 class c's of ip's and want
> to have some callers get dynamic and some get static ip's i have 4 boca
> 16 port boards and i also have xylogics terminal servers here. I want to
> get it going on the boca cards first.....

You're not going to like this but...

First, become /very/ familiar with pppd or ppp and sliplogin.  If
you can't get them to work properly under controlled conditions
there is no sense in going any further.  Buy a Portmaster or more
Xylogics and save yourself a lot of grief.

Basically you have to write some scripts that exec ppp/pppd/sliplogin
with the proper arguments.  The script is the login shell for your
dial-up IP users.

Scripts for static IP users could be as simple as one script per
user with the IP address in the script.  Or you could use a common
script and look up the IP address based on the users logname.  Perl
would be good for this.

Dynamic IP is a bit more difficult.  The folks that I have talked
to that actually made it work and were satisfied with the scheme
used an IP address based on the tty port the login is on.  Any
other scheme for picking the address to use has race conditions
that have to be dealt with.

There is no easy way to do this on the scale you are talking about.

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       FreeBSD Servers and Workstations
(954) 792-9551                 Unix/Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions