Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:16:59 +0200 (EET)
From:      Mike Dracopoulos <mdraco@math.uoa.gr>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Mike Dracopoulos <mdraco@math.uoa.gr>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplicate blocks in shared ext2 partition

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Mike Dracopoulos wrote:
>
> > I am running both FreeBSD and Linux sharing an ext2 /home (on a
> > dedicated disk).
> >
> > Occasionally (say once every month or two), FreeBSD complains on
> > bootup about /home and asks to run fsck on it.  Here is a record of
> > what happened last time:
>
> The system must have crashed while the filesystem was mounted rw for
> FreeBSD to notice the problem at boot time.  After a crash it is normal
> for fsck to find some problems, especially for async-mounted filesystems.
> FreeBSD's ext2fs doesn't support async mounting, but it cheats and
> forces async operation in some cases (mainly for inode writes).

Nope, it wasn't a post-crash fsck.  The morning after the second of the
two files involved was created, FreeBSD booted OK and worked for a few
hours, then I booted to Linux just to check something (no /home
access at all) and no complaints.  It was immediately after that while
booting FreeBSD for the 2nd time that I got the message, so I went back to
Linux which also picked it up and attempted to fsck.

The only recent "crash" I had was with netscape once, and then I didn't
even have to kill X, just the shell that started it.
I am running 3.4-STABLE and both files with the duplicate blocks were
created from FreeBSD.

A friend of mine with a similar configuration also mentioned having
similar problems.

	Mike