Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:16:08 -0500
From:      "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   greetings from FreeBSD DLL Hell!

I installed FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE and was installing packages via "pkg_add
-r foo". This worked, but it went and downloaded older versions of
various programs (i.e. Mozilla Firefox 0.9). How can I tell pkg_add to
use the "5-latest" (5-STABLE? RELENG_5_3?) branch? Do I have to update
my sources before I can do this?

So after I installed 5.3 yesterday I installed some packages with
pkg_add -r (which used the 5.3-RELEASE versions of the software), and
then installed some other stuff with ports, and then updated ports with
cvsup and then installed yet some more stuff, and now I seem to find
myself in the FreeBSD equivalent of "DLL Hell". Should I just blow my
system away and start from scratch? Is that the best course of action to
take at this point?

thanks,
Thomas

--