Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:07:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed test

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > But the alpha thing is odd, what's the alpha's memory bus speed and what
> > byte width memory does it use. Is that 166MB/s show above approaching the
>
> I'm not sure what the bus speed is, but the memory width is 64 bit.
> You have to use 8 SIMMS at a time with the Durango motherboard,
> nothing smaller.

Okay, x86 architecture sucks in comparison, I new this already. I suppose
it interleaves each group of 8 64bit SIMMS. Shame PC's have so much
archaic backwards compatibility... (seen this topic before!)

> > If so, then that alpha better not have cost more than 2000 UK pounds (or
> > $2000 I suppose considering the price of hardware here.)
>
> It's less than that and remains a pretty good deal.  Don't forget that
> memory speed isn't the only benchmark it wins. :-)

Yes, I think the memory speed test has been overhyped and it's meaning
lost a bit, make world is a more useful benchmark perhaps, but really all
these numbers (SpecINT etc.) don't impress me that much. Really what's the
difference between an alpha fileserver and an Intel fileserver both with a
good RAID setup ? (apart from cost.)

The disks in an alpha probably aren't going to be much/any faster than the
same disks in a pentium are they ?

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342