Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:58:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        CB1001@aol.com
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, hueber@riic.at
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

On 14-Dec-01 CB1001@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/14/01 10:09:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, CB1001 writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  You claim the 3Coms are no good choice for FBSD. I have always been very
>> satisfied
>>  with 3Com905B devices.
>>  And a quick search did not reveal any major problems with the 3com cards.
>
> A "quick search" of what?  Get some perspective. The "hackers" are only
> interested in cards that they use, and they all use intel for high end stuff.
> Bill paul is too busy writing drivers for some new gigabit card to worry
> about old stuff. (note that most of his drivers are optimised for the Alpha
> and not i386...like what pct of people are using Alpha?) And there is
> apparantly no interest in fixing anything or finding out whats wrong because
> some guy at freebsd with a 2 inch weener keeps knocking me off the
> list...they dont like criticism. I've already fixed it, so all im trying to
> do is save you a lot of time doing work thats already been done.

Actually, the cards are very much optimized for the i386.  See the lack of
using bus_dma for example, which is required for these cards to work on things
like sparc64.  Grow up and realize that not all the world is an i386.  Ports
like sparc64, powerpc, ia64, and x86-64 are being added and they are not
exactly like the i386.  I've used 3com cards (xl(4)) without any problems.

They are rather nice cards and Bill Paul prefers those to Intel cards since
Intel is so nazi with its docco. :)

To Guret:

Please don't listen to Dennis.  He is feeding you lies so that you will go buy
his "better" ethernet drivers.  He is very obnoxious and thus has been banned
from the lists several times.  This is just another one of his silly aliases.