Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 01:49:12 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
Cc:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Poseiden <dchapman@houabg.com>, Mourad de Riche <omnibus@image.dk>, iostreamH <fireman@shaw.wave.ca>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: RE: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Oben O. Candemir wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > If you were kicked off for no good reason, see if you can get
> > back on.  But it depends what you said and to whom.  grin
> >

> Hi Dan,
>
> Can I begin by complementing you on the Diary site. I got and
> installed sendmail 8.9.2 after reading the latter portions of your
> experiences.
>
> Now... I'll assure anyone that the last time I was on the
> channel(probably earlier this month) I wasn't kicked but a newbie
> who just wanted to ask a couple of questions on whether Windows 98
> and FreeBSD will coexist were abused and kicked after (I believe) a
> /msg to someone on the channel.

Yeah.. that stuff ain't right no matter how ya look at it.  One of the
main reasons I haven't used Efnet in 9 months or so..

> I'm an adult, I understand the need for an 'unwind' channel, and
> have been I dare say 'educated' regarding the purpose of #freebsd on
> EFNET. And believe me I'm no moral crusader or anything either but
> the first contact that people have of 'freebsd' shouldn't IMHO be a
> barrage of insults for being lamers.

Ditto on this one.. everyone's gotta start somewhere.. even if they
are lamers.. hell, I'm one =P

> I have to confess I actually like the banter on the channel and
> don't mind the jokes etc. But insulting, calling people wankers etc
> is not right.

Agreed.  If that ever starts happening on Undernet, I won't be goin in
there either.

> I noted on your site that, you got some decent help from nameless
> <xxx> on the EFNET channel to that persons credit. That is the sort
> of thing I would like to see more often. Your site is an excellent
> example of how people can be helped.
>
> Best Regards
>
> O Candemir

Later,