Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:28:37 -0500
From:      "Michael Meltzer" <mjm@michaelmeltzer.com>
To:        "Ruslan Ermilov" <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 127/8 in ip_output.c

http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.txt about page 28+-

I do not use squid but, http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html, the
freebsd section uses the 127.* game

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/faq/cache.html#mixnmatch , it the 127.* trick again,
and if you want to services the inside address you need a rdr from the
inside ip to 127.

The point is this is too strong a position on the issue, maybe you want a
sysctl around it, not unheard of for network RFC's. But frankly you are
trying to build firewall functionality into the kernel when most people
expect it in their ipf rule set. Worst let there rules set will look right
when they try to open it up and led to "craziness/frustration/very bad
works" when it does not work as excepted or meet their expectation about
what is happening. I been doing things like this on Solaris /FreeBSD for
years to solve network problems.

MJM

PS. what is the view of the "group"?