Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:39:08 -0800
From:      Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.11 minimal install man pages

--nextPart2874620.TpoBjD833x

On Sunday 11 September 2005 08:27 pm, David Christensen wrote:
> FreeBSD-questions:
>
> I'm an FreeBSD newbie who just did a minimal install of FreeBSD 4.11 on
> some vintage hardware, only to discover that the man pages seem to be
> missing.  So I STFW, found the following:
>

> http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/2004-01/0=
56
>8.htm l
>

> ran /stand/sysinstall, and installed the man pages distribution.  But, I
> still get the following:
>
>     dpchrist@p166v:~$ man man
>     No manual entry for man
>

> I seem to recall running a "mandb" utility on a GNU/Linux installation
> sometime in the past, but I can't seem to find the FreeBSD equivalent (if
> there is such a thing).
>

> Searching this list's archive for "No manual entry for man" didn't yield
> the answer.
>

> Any suggestions?

Boot off the install disk. Choose "Do a post install configuration". Choose=
=20
"Additional Distribution Sets" - "Man" Install.

Cheers

Beech

=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \=20