Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:48:14 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        "Matt S. Gann" <mattgann2003@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD starter machine

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:07:44 -0800 (PST)
"Matt S. Gann" <mattgann2003@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I have a few questions about FreeBSD.  I am just beginning to get
> into UNIX.  I know a few line commands, but really want to get
> familiar and comfortable with the OS.  I have been intrugued by
> FreeBSD for many years now, but I own a windows-based PC and am not
> keen about running dual OS's.  I would like to get a cheap, used,
> small desktop or laptop to "tinker" with Unix/Linix and FreeBSD.
> However, I know little to nothing about system requirements and/or
> hardware compability.  I was thinking of an old 486 or Pentium 1 to
> get started.  Any thoughts on what I could start with? Sincerely,
> Matt S. Gann

I've had no problems installing FreeBSD on old Pentiums.  I also have a
Dell Inspiron 8100 (laptop) that dual boots Windows XP and FreeBSD 5-
STABLE.

The problem with old equipment is that it will be slow.  Whether your
using a resource intensive desktop environment such as KDE or learning
to customize the kernel, you'll want a bit of speed and a bit more of
RAM. If you go with an old system, try to max out the motherboard's
RAM. Once you're happy with FreeBSD on old equipment, you'll get the
itch to see what it can do on really good hardware.

I'm currently installing FreeBSD 6.0 on a Pentium II 333 with 128MB RAM
for my grandson. To help compensate for the system's limitations,
I've installed a light weight window manager. It's in situations like
this that you see real benefits to having choices in software.

Good luck (and welcome to sanity)!

Andrew Gould