Date:      Sun, 02 Sep 2001 02:39:19 +0000
From:      "D. P. Kreil" <kreild@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xf86cfg dies - any remedies?

Hi,

I am installing from the x11/XFree86-4 port (XFree-4.1.0_6) on a 4.3-RELEASE
system with a Voodoo3 3000 card.
I can get this to run fine, no problem, but needed to create XF86Config
manually, because xf86cfg malfunctions:

(1) when run from cons25 as "xf86cfg" or
    when run from xterm as  "xf86cfg -xf86config XF86Config"
--> I get the following output before it dies:
Module ABI versions:
        XFree86 ANSI C Emulation: 0.1
        XFree86 Video Driver: 0.4
        XFree86 XInput driver : 0.2
        XFree86 Server Extension : 0.1
        XFree86 Font Renderer : 0.2
Loader running on freebsd
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

(2) when run from xterm as "xf86cfg" (my config file is in /etc/X11)
--> It claims:
Cannot to open config file.

xdm finds and runs just fine with the manually created XF86Config file,
however.

Any ideas how to get the graphical tool running?

With many thanks,
David.