Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:30:03 +0000
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@clicknet.com>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "C. Randolph Philipp" <cphilipp@pop500.gsfc.nasa.gov>, FreeBSD-mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where is the Latest FAQ?

Ted Faber wrote:
> >Who said anything about suspend to disk?  (This feature is part of the
> >BIOS, and unless you have hardware docs you can't do it 'portably'.)
>
> Sean said "suspend to RAM" and implied that the only thing preventing
> him from suspend to disk was not using space.

That is correct, I don't want to waste 100megs for something I don't
really do that often.

> It looks like I'd have to properly partition my hard disk to suspend
> to it, and I don't know (and probably can't easily guess) the
> appropriate parameters of the suspend-to-disk partition.

Dell (or your computer manufacturer) should have a utility on one of the
disks you got (or on their web site) that will create the special
partition for you, you can't just do it with a partitioning program in
most cases because it has to 'initialize' the partition.  Dell does not
ship the software with it's laptops because it requires repartitioning
the HD and they don't want the average Joe trashing their system, but it
is available on their web site.

> So it sounds like I keep suspending to memory.

Up to you, if you want to do it and you have a Bios that will support it
go for it!

-Sean