Date:      	Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Michael J. Caughey" <mcaughey@mgsinc.com>
Cc:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>, Pete Kruckenberg <pete@dsw.com>, Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Byet April 95 no ref to screennd

On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Michael J. Caughey wrote:

> >  What does this have to do with the security of the screend?  That is
> >just a licensing problem with DEC (who by the way includes screend with
> >Ultrix and OSF).
> >

> Thats, cool.  I was not aware that it was actually forsale by anyone.  That was what I
>
> was mentioning.  Paul said it was not forsale.  Is it for sale for FreeBSD and BSDI's
> BSD/OS?  If it is not whos to say what back doors some one might have stuck in it.  If
>
> it is then its on them to insure that there is no blatent security holes.  Of course
> I'm not saying there liable for damage, but there reputation could be.

  BSDI does not have screend built in.  The license is very prohibitive
(it was even worse).

  However BSDI does have hooks to screend built in, you can just get the
source from ftp.vixie.com and rebuild the kernel.

  I'm confused why you think that you must buy something to make sure
that no back doors have been built in?

Tom