Date:      Sat, 02 Oct 1999 09:25:46 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Jeff Harris <jeff@dcnv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help... heh.

> Well, so I've been charged (well, okay, this is the way I want to do it),
> with making 100+ BSD-based machines all play server on our network, and it
> seems to me that installing freebsd onto all 100+ machines (We could easily
> scale to 500 or more) would make administrative duties a nightmare.

That is what NIS (AKA Yellow Pages) is good at. There is a good
O'Reilly book on NIS/NFS.

> So I thought, "What if all the machines just had a floppy in them, and they
> grabbed a root, usr, and var filesystem from the boot server(s), grabbed a
> dynamic ip address, booted up, used a local disk as swap, and loaded freebsd
> into a large-ish ramdisk." This way they could just be rebooted to install
> an upgraded software base, etc.

Look at the /etc/rc.diskless* stuff in FreeBSD.

> The machines in question are big pIII/500's with 1gig+ of ram each, 100mbit
> ethernet, etc. They're fast. My question is, where do I start looking for
> info. I've seen lots of diskless stuff (well, okay, a few things) but these
> machines aren't totally diskless. They at least have a floppy.

"Diskless" usually means "boots off network", not "has no disks
whatsoever".

> Anyone have any tips or pointers on where to look at? I think this is the
> direction I should move, as opposed to loading fbsd on each machine, running
> cvsup's on all of them and ssh'ing into each one to do a make world (or
> at least make installworld), and rsyncing our software (which is only
> apache-based).

Diskless is a good direction. It is a bit fiddly, but not too
difficult, and works well once you get it up. (I last did it 4
years ago - I reckon it will be easier now).

Mark Murray