Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2002 21:41:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: floppies for alpha/DP2

On 07-Nov-2002 Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:32:40PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> On 07-Nov-2002 Matthew Jacob wrote:
>> >
>> > FYI
>> >
>> > I've just barely managed to finally shuffle and squeeze things down to
>> > fit floppies- 7 blocks to spare for kern.flp.
>> >
>> > I'm going to test them later today to see if they're usable- that't the
>> > next step.
>>
>> They won't be.  I'm currently working on trying to fix libdisk to
>> work again on alpha machines.  The only remaining problem seems to be
>> that somehow the checksum on the disk is wrong after an install so the
>> disks won't boot from SRM.  I don't know why yet.
>
> Sounds like the same problem that I had when trying to boot from UFS2.
> No way to get a new disklabel to work from SRM.
> It only worked with an old disklabel.
> Unfortunately I went out of time to investigate further.
> This is the last outstanding problem to boot from UFS2.
> If you already try this - can you please verify that an UFS2 enabled
> boot1 also works for UFS1 floppies?
> We could safely enable it then.

It's not the disklabel it doesn't like.  The checksum is somehow wrong.
SRM just wants the start and offset of the boot code, the flags, and the
checksum.  The checksum is getting busted somehow hence no booting.  I'm
doing a test now to see if GEOM is going and scribbling on the disk behind
our backs.