Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:53:26 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@mac.com>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mac iBook OS10 + BSD

On Sunday, December 22, 2002, at 10:24 PM, Steve Kudlak wrote:

> David Hunt wrote:
>
>> I have been using Linux (Slackware) for a number of years on my
>> desktop, and have never used BSD. From what I've gathered, BSD sounds
>> like the kind of OS I would like.
[snip]
> This brings up an interesting question. Apple makes all sorts
> of noises about BSD being the basis of the MAC.

FreeBSD 4.4 has, more or less, been integrated with the Darwin/Mac OS X
kernel for the 10.2/Jaguar release.  It's a real Unix under all the
colors.  You can get at it with ease, using Terminal, or remotely via
ssh/rlogin/telnet.

Keep in mind that because there's a serious commercial product around
it, and the heritage includes NeXT, it's not identically FreeBSD.  The
very low layers are Mach-based, which accounts for some differences.
The networking is BSD-based, and incorporates much of FreeBSD 4.4, but
is not entirely compatible.  None of this should bother you if you are
not deep into kernel development.

>  If I get the
> bucks I may switch to a MAC. My question is how much of
> the BSD operating system can one get access to on a MAC
> running OS X?

You can get at all of the low-level OS.  As above, it's not identical to
any flavor of BSD.

> Has anyone done even simple things like
> started up cron jobs

Yup.

> and the like to do housekeeping? Most of
> the MAC users I know, know BSD is there but haven't done
> much with it. IN fact there are noises one can't get at all the
> internals and the like.

Noises abound, but as is generally the case, the more noise, the less
information.

>  Does anyone have any details about
> all of this stuff. I know this is kind of general question to post
> on this list. But so far even lurking this list is often where real
> questions often get answered. Any pointers would be appreciated.

You can lurk on the 'darwin' lists (http://lists.apple.com) for
discussions of low-level stuff, as well as kernel extension and driver
development.  Try the lists at http://www.omnigroup.com for discussions
dealing with the management of Mac OS X systems.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   If you're not confused,