Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:59:54 -0000
From:      John Ryan <john@kgv.net>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intel wiseman and livengood gigabit ethernet support

I'm after some help on what gigabit ethernet card is supported on FreeBSD.
I'm using FreeBSD4.2-STABLE.
From what I've read, I've dug up the following info.

GENERIC has an entry for a wx - Intel Gigabit Ethernet Card (``Wiseman'').
'man wx' says it's for "the original WISEMAN and the newer LIVENGOOD chipsets"
/usr/src/sys/pci/if_wx.c says it's the "Intel Gigabit Ethernet (82452) Driver"

http://www.intel.com/network/products/pro1000giga.htm talks about an 82543GC
Gigabit Controller. There are 2 NICs, a Pro/1000T and a Pro/1000FS.
Intel don't seem to make any mention of Wiseman or Livengood chipsets.

My questions are:
1. Is the 82543GC Gigabit Controller from Intel supported? and
2. Do both the fibre optic and UTP versions work?

John Ryan
Systems Manager
KGV School
Hong Kong