Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:23:13 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Xian <ml-freebsd-newbies@codepad.net>
Subject:   Re: Backup to CD-Rs and DVDs

--nextPart7379634.JpYL0THR40

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:30, Xian wrote:
> I don't have any DVD-Rs of any format yet so I was messing about with CDs.
> I found I could burn files to the CD in a variety of ways but I can't get
> them back again.
> I've used dd and burncd to put the file onto a CD and dd sometimes gets
> something back too, but never works properly.
> Any ideas how to do this properly?

I think this is what you are looking for (lists.freebsd.org seems to down a=
t=20
the moment, so I can't confirm this is the thread I think it is):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-November/064560.h=
tml

Anyway, to backup /usr directly to a dvd(+rw), I use the this command:
dump -0 -uL -C16 -B4589840 -P 'growisofs -speed=3D4 -Z /dev/dvd=3D/dev/fd/0=
 ' /usr
This gives you a dvd or series of dvds with the dump file on them. You can=
=20
then boot from CD2 (live system) and use restore to restore the data. If th=
e=20
link above is the one I think it is, it gives you an example restore comman=
d.

Hope that's the kind of thing you are after.

Cheers,
=2D-=20
Ian

GPG Key: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/imoore/imoore.asc