Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 2015 14:36:03 +0200
From:      Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS, iSCSI & smartctl

Hello,

Every documentation I read about ZFS indicates that ZFS likes to see
the disks directly, so without any RAID adapter etc...
I have server_1 with disks plugged to a SAS card, as JBOD. Perfect.
However, I would like to use these disks from server_2 through iSCSI.
Will ZFS on server_2 like these disks as much as if they were directly
used from server_1 ?
Will it have all its capabilities through iSCSI, will it see all the
disks' details it needs ?

Second point, on each diskid (/dev/diskid/...) is created a GPT label.
diskid are given to the iSCSI target configuration, so that on the
iSCSI initiator are seen the GPT labels.
GPT labels are then used on the iSCSI initiator to create a zpool
(mirror with disks from the initiator too).
When iSCSI target service starts, GPT labels are no more seen from the
iSCSI target, diskid however still are.
Then, I would like to know, from which server do I have to run
smartctl on these disks ?
>From the iSCSI target ?
>From the iSCSI initiator ?
Giving diskid (/dev/diskid/...) to smartctl ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Ben