Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 13:28:18 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        chaos@rivers.oscs.montana.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: non-initial installation

> I've thinking about this for a while.  I think it would be very useful
> if we can make it possible to "deinstall" ports from the ports dir by
> using the Makefile and pkg/PLIST, as there should be enough
> information in there to determine which files should be deleted.
>
> Currently I do a "make package" and "pkg_add" following a "make
> install" to ensure the package is registered (so that I can deinstall
> it).  But this is kinda redundant.
>
> Another idea is to automatically "register" the port into
> /var/db/ports when we do "make install" by copying the PLIST file with
> appropriate modifications.  Then we don't have to touch pkg_delete.
> Also, this way we can ensure we have the right version of the packing
> list when we do a deinstall.
>
> What do people think?

I don't really mind which one you use, but whichever it is, YES PLEASE!

Another idea: whenever a big system change comes along, I want to be able
to recompile all the ports _I_ use. How about some kind of _really_ simple
file that is included into the ports/Makefile _if_it_exists_, that forces
a make to make only a selected subset of ports? This file should obviously
never be messed with by sup/ctm. (Or am i being a real twit and not noticing
that such a mechanism already exists?)

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200