Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:54:19 -0500
From:      Erik Sabowski <airyk@7521.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ytwok_karate@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: freebsd curiosity

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, James Hicks wrote:
> require any kind of defrag? I was told by my UNIX instructor that
> freebsd had hardware recognition trouble. Is this true and if so has it
> been fixed?

of the 3 or 4 linux distros I have experience with, one 1 has not require=
d me=20
to manually add a device driver or two. despite the lack of "prettyness" =
of=20
freebsd's installer, I find freebsd to be by far quicker and easier to=20
install. I have also found that freebsd's ports are easier to install and=
=20
maintain that linux's rpms.

> to use freebsd. What is the problem that I'm hearing that linux has? Do
> you believe the berkeley system to have code that has better stability
> than the GNU systems? I look forward to your reply. Thanks

you aren't really going to get a truly partial answer to that question on=
 this=20
mailing list, I think just about everyone will tell you that freebsd wins=
 in=20
the stability department. but in all my dealings with linux, i never once=
=20
heard someone say linux was more stable than freebsd :)

erik