Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:49:07 +0800
From:      "Mars G. Miro" <marsgmiro@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS upgrading from 5.2.1->5.4

[ resent, as I forgot to add the subject, sorry ]

I've found out that there are some hurdles in doing this upgrade, as
also pointed out by another user [0]. The problem is in make and I
think it happened during this change [1]. It can be solved by
installing the new make first, before the installkernel and
installworld process, e.g.:
 [ this assumes you've already built world from another box and
NFS-exported the /usr/src and /usr/obj directories, and mounting them
from the client ]
 # cd  /usr/src/usr.bin/make && make install
 [ 'rehash' if using csh. then create the pf user/groups, as pf became
officially imported in 5.3, refer to src/etc/master.passwd and group
files ]
 # cd /usr/src && make installkernel && make installworld
 [ mergemaster  ]

Thanks.

[0] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-June/015618.html
[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/Makefile.inc1.diff?r1=3D1.433=