Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:30:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual booting (Was: FreeBSD Installer)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

> I have a friend in New York City who told me that very thing
> two years ago. (He was learning UNIX at the time.) To this
> day, he has NEVER been able to set up a trouble-free system,
> and has wasted countless days struggling with his machines.

i think each system is *just* unique enough to create a new set of issues
(such as a RAID card not working under one OS, that supported in the
generic kernel of another). i have to say, i've rarely had to fight with
most of the BSDs, while i've had all kinds of issues with Linux and
Windows.

on the other hand, i've had to fight with -CURRENT more often than i care
to admit.

> Friends don't let friends dual-boot.

i tend to make dual-booting win2k and FreeBSD laptops. for desktops, i
prefer to have single use machines (at work, i have a FreeBSD workstation,
that's it). The laptops are rarely a fight, when it is one, it's normally
something stupid like X or a graphical card.

so far, -CURRENT is working like a charm on this laptop (Toshiba Satellite
Pro 4600). No complaints, once X was working.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche