Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:31:53 -0700
From:      <dennyboy@cableone.net>
To:        "Isak Lyberth" <ily@cip-global.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Sound on a Toshiba Labtop

I'm still kind of a newbie, so if any older hands see
me saying something wrong in here, let me  know.
I got sound working on my laptop, mostly using all
my device information printed out from previous
windoze install & reading Annelise Anderson's book
on FreeBSD. Sound is not enabled by default when
you install FreeBSD. First of all, did you compile=20
sound support into your kernel? Do you know the=20
irq/drq info? On my Toshiba 4015cdt, in the kernel
config, between the nic's & pseudo devices sections,
I added:
#Audio devices
device            pcm0     at isa?   irq 5   drq 1   flags 0x0

So, to be safe, in /usr/src/sys/i386 do:
cp GENERIC NEWKERN (or whatever name you want)
vi NEWKERN
Make the changes above using your irq, drq & flags info,
not mine. Save it & close vi (or whatever editor you use)
While still in /usr/src/sys/i386, do:
config NEWKERN
You'll get a message telling you to remember to do a
make depend
cd ../../compile/NEWKERN
make depend
make
make install
When finished, reboot the system. When up do:
dmesg | grep pcm
You should see something like:
pcm0:  <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0
Then do:
cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV snd0 (that is, if the pcm has 0. If 1, then use snd1)
Now you should have these in /dev:
/dev/audio
/dev/dsp
/dev/dspW
/dev/midi
/dev/mixer
/dev/music
/dev/sequencer
/dev/pss
Besides dmesg, you can see configured sound devices with:
cat /dev/sndstat
Hopefully, this'll get you going. Like I said tho, you have to
know the irq & drq to put in. If you don't have that info from
another install & don't know how to get it in fbsd, maybe one
of the more experienced people on this mailing list can tell you
how to get it. Good luck.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Unix/BSD/Linux
Live Free or Die!
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D