Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:16:11 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to do FTP with NAT and firewall?

I've just set up a firewall for a client using ipfw and natd. Trouble is, his software seems to be particularly insistent on doing active, rather than passive, FTP. This poses a problem, of course, because a remote system can't open just data sockets to one behind the firewall due to NAT.

I've worked with plenty of commercial firewalls that monitor FTP control connections and spoof the port number for the data sockets. SLiRP does it; so, apparently, does the pppd that comes with FreeBSD. But I can't find any documented way to do it with ipfw and natd.

Are there undocumented commands to accomplish this?

--Brett