Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:37:16 +0300
From:      "Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas)" <madis555@hot.ee>
To:        Winston Smith <smith.winston.101@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crotchet-freebsd fails to build u-boot (master)

On 2014-04-19 21:45, Winston Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 5:42 AM, Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas)
> <madis555@hot.ee> wrote:
>> Finally more BBB+eMMC users. I've been running BBB from eMMC for weeks
>> now and it's very stable, but on boot, something goes wrong with eMMC
>> detection and sometimes network phy fails. Details are in this list
>> somewhere. You could test those things, so I'm not alone with this.
>
> I started out with Angstrom on the BBB, got frustrated with that,
> switched to Debian which is actually pretty good, but FreeBSD is what
> I really want to run on these things!  I haven't had much of a chance
> to play around with FreeBSD on this, but good so far!
>
>> I currently also have two U-Boot's, 2013.04 from crochet (using those
>> patches there) that gives me eMMC and 2014.01 with some patches from
>> this list that gives me 1GHz CPU but no eMMC (fails in ubldr with no
>> device found). Also more details in this list.
>
> Yeah, I've seen those emails.  Which 2014.1 repo are you using? ...
> the patches in crotchet-freebsd are targeted to 2013.4, so they would
> need adapting to either u-boot master, or 2014.4.  Seems like it might
> be useful to fork u-boot (at 2014.04) and apply the patches to the
> repo so at each [u-boot] release we can just pull/merge the upstream
> changes rather than having to mess with patches.

2014.01 was from ftp.denx.de, like all other uboots. Then some patches
on top (different, not from crochet).

> From the list, it looks like it's significantly faster with newer
> u-boot and the 1Ghz patches -- I think the caches are enabled too, I
> know with 2013.4 I see the following during boot:
>
> WARNING: Caches not enabled
>
>> The device currently almost fits with my needs. I'm trying to use it in
>> my home automation system where several of same or similar boards make
>> all sorts of IO available over IP so I could have monitoring and
>> control. In this application, 1GHz (and non-scaling?!) CPU isn't really
>> needed.
>> I found that this board is cheap enough, compared with how much IO it
>> has... And it runs FreeBSD! I sometimes encounter people that buy much
>> more expensive and less capable hardware for purpose to hack it apart
>> and interface with own system. I would rather take something like BBB
>> and hack together system I actually need.
>
> That's pretty much what I'm doing ... on this topic, any luck with i2c
> on BBB+FreeBSD?

I2C should work, I think (?) someone used LM75 temperature sensor and on
boot where you see powered by "USB", "AC" or "USB and AC"... it's from
PMIC via I2C.
If you add own FDT, you get all serial ports enabled (I assume they pass
data, never tried). Shared pins, though.
PWM works.
ADC works now.
I think LCD barely works too (not via HDMI chip, though).

Additionally, I could give you my code that makes IO available over IP.
All Perl & POE, which is good or bad (depends what you like). Includes
server to connect up your IO boards and simple JS web interface.

> I'm pretty familiar with the Device Tree and device tree overlays on
> Linux, it seems like FreeBSD has a monolithic DTB file that it boots
> with.  I don't need to load overlays dynamically (as the Linux cape
> mgr does), but it would be nice to be able to specify "additional" DTB
> files during boot so I don't have to alter the core DTB that
> crotchet-freebsd provides.

Not sure how to specify more FDT files. But you can create multiple
ones, compile and use them. With or without some uboot scripting.

The whole IO system needs some rework. For example, I would like some
"more unified" way to access everything, configure ADC and interrupts,
receive changes on GPIO inputs, set GPIO outputs. I don't actually like
the Linux idea where you have FS for that. I would want to open one
device for read / write, or something like this.