Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 14:08:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Rudderham <matt@cape-breton-island.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP Kernel Panic

Please don't wrap computer output.

On Saturday,  7 July 2001 at 11:33:54 -0300, Matt Rudderham wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a SMP machine running FreeBSD 4.3-Release. It has had a kernel
> panic every week or so for the last month. I've debugged it as much as I
> could using the handbook info, and I believe it may be caused by the
> syscall function or in my kernel:
>
> c01e8720 T Xint0x80_syscall
>
> The handbook has helped me get this far, but can someone let me know
> what I can do with this now that I know what function is causing the
> problem? Thanks.

This tells you that you're tracing back through a system call.  The
offset you show below isn't related; it's a long way before the system
call address.

> Jul  7 00:33:07 cfxu /kernel: instruction pointer       = 0x8:0xc01b6e8f
>                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^

What you really need to do now is:

1.  Build a kernel with debugging symbols.  Only bde can analyse a
    dump without them.

2.  Enable processor dumps.

3.  Read the chapter in the handbook entitled "Kernel Debugging".

When you've done that, come back and I can take another look at what's
happening.  In particular we need to know what the traceback looks
like.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.