Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:26:49 -0500
From:      "Clark C . Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: read-only root partition?

| http://people.freebsd.org/~bsd/cdroot/

Ok.  I've tried this route and it seems to be working,
thank you all so much for your help and pointers.

During burning the iso image, I get a message to my
console,  PREVENT_ALLOW - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=64 ascq=0 error=04
this occurs as burncd is "fixing".   However, I did
reboot and it seems to work.  I don't know how to get
a trace-file of the bootup... but here are some things
that I am a wee bit concerned about.  I seemed to have
one error that popped up that I don't know how to resolve,
here is it "re-typed"...

  acd0: CD-RW <...>
  Mouning from root iso9660:cd0a
  no such device 'cd'
  setrootbyname failed
  iso_mountroot: can't find rootvp
  Root mount failed: 6
  Mounting root from iso9660:acd0

I also see a few drives complaining (like the mouse),
I think I know how to re-do the kernel to leave out
the mouse driver though.  Is this a cd driver that
needs to be removed?

Anyway, I log-in and everything works nicely.  Cool.
Given that I've gotten this far with cdroot, I think
I'm going to stick with this solution... and figure
out how it works.   This kit makes three mfs for me:
tmp, var, etc, dev.   I'm wondering if the etc
and dev must be done as mfs?

My next step is to make a custom boot process:

 1. Check to see if /dev/ad0s1b exists and is a
    swap partition, if so, load it.

 2. Check to see if /dev/ad0s1? exists and is
    a FreeBSD partition.  If so, see if it looks
    like a /tmp, /var, or /home partition.  If
    so mount as appropriate.

 3. Modify (2) above, to search on /ad?s1? for
    a similar structure.  If so, then mount it
    using vinum.

If steps 1-3 above fail, then assume it is an
"uninitialized" box.  Ask the user to verify
this fact, and then create the partitions
automagically.   If there are two disks, ask
the user if a software mirror is to be used,
if so, then configure this as well.

If any of you have any suggestions/comments/ideas
as to how to best do this, I'd love to hear them!

Best,

Clark

Thank you all so much for your
suggestions and thoughts!

My next step is to examine the file system:

  (a) if the "data" partition exists, then this
      can be mounted and /var and /tmp can be