Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        Marc Albers <freebsd@oblomow.demon.nl>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1-Stable ad0 write errors

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Marc Albers wrote:
> > I'm getting a lot of errors that look like:
> >
> > ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# xxxxxx retrying
>
> A 'me-too' reply:
> I'm having the same problems with a ABit KT7 and Duron 600.

I'm also seeing this on my Vaio C1-XS:

Oct 23 03:52:51 yez /kernel: ad0: 11513MB <IBM-DARA-212000> [23392/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
Oct 23 03:52:51 yez /kernel: Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
Oct 23 04:06:31 yez /kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 16585499 retrying
Oct 23 04:08:41 yez /kernel: ad0: HARD WRITE ERROR blk# 16585499ata0-master: WARNING: WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
Oct 23 04:08:41 yez /kernel: ad0: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode

So it may be a more general problem... I've been a bit active with my
laptop recently so I was worrying it was my hard drive going bad and was
going to replace it soon, but it sounds like it may be a driver problem,
eh?

Another possibly related event: around the same time as one of these
messages, I had a pine process saving a big mailbox, which after a few
seconds seemed to hang the system (pointer stick wasn't moving the
pointer, etc), so I hard-booted.  When it came up, my ~/mail/ dir appeared
to be empty, and a "find" couldn't find my mail folders.  After freaking
out a bit, I fired up pine, went to the mailbox dir, and it was all there
- then went back to the shell, and ls started to show entries in that
dir.  I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine the empty ls output the first
time; it suggests some sort of inode or directory listing corruption, that
thankfully led to only a temporary failure.  Or maybe I imagined it all...

	Brian