Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 14:32:13 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Karl on ports (was Re: ports/15822: ...)

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 01:34:44PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> [snip]
> # I don't like the pkg/INSTALL.  Hell, I don't like the PACKAGE format for
> # this in the FIRST PLACE!  Since you MUST have a compiler to run this anyway
> # (Dan Lancini's code pretty much makes that mandatory) the entire concept of
> [snip]
>
> There is nothing wrong with having a pkg/INSTALL.  It serves a
> very useful purpose if used properly.

Sure - for those things that can be reasonably packaged.

> Karl, I've been real amenable to your rants up to this point.
> You are [after all] entitled to your opinion.  I happen to like
> the Ports Collection and its package format, and I'm a little
> put off by baseless remarks like this.  Please do tell what it
> is you don't like about it.  Be prepared to back your remarks
> with hard cold facts and code, otherwise you are just blowing
> smoke up our collective arses for the sake of getting high.

I have a big beef with the concept of binary packages in certain
instances, and this is one of them.

> Do you have a big beef with FreeBSD (and their treehouses) and
> because of that everything they do is wrong?  Do you not
> understand it and have the "it must be bad if I can't understand
> it" attitude?  Are you sold on another solution and anything not
> exactly like it is inherently wrong?
>
> ???
>
> -steve

There is something VERY wrong with making packages for those things that
SHOULD be compiled by the user.

This is one of those kinds of things.

There *ARE* pieces of software that were never designed to be binary
packages, and for various reasons never WILL BE reasonable binary
packages.

HomeDaemon is one of them.  I simply am not interested in supporting a
binary package release of this software at any level, and won't do it.
If it proliferates as a consequence of the Port then you're going to
have a bunch of VERY UNSUPPORTED users, who will likely be unhappy.

Note that I backed off the "no package" stuff that I had *originally*
submitted (the first set of port files had NO_PACKAGE defined), but
I still don't like it, and I will not entertain being forced into
*full support* of a binary package.  Given the choice between that
full support and withdrawing this as a port, the port loses.

Whether FreeBSD's "ports Gods" are willing to accept that at face value
or not is your decision.  It is, however, a position that *for the present*
I am unwilling to back away from.  If and when (and IF is the operative word
here) I was to decide to write *my own* CM11a interface, and discard Dan's,
or develop my own hardware (with its own interface) then my position on this
might change, as a "packaged product" would be a rational thing to support.

There is no indication that this will occur in anything that I'd consider a
"contemporary" timeframe.

This is, to some degree, a philosophical issue, but in the case of
this package, which depends on an external piece of code supplied only
in source by a third party, its also a *practical* limitation.

Beyond the obvious (you have to be able and willing to use a compiler
to get this thing going due to the way Dan makes *his* code available)
I also have *zero* control over Dan's code (and its potential mutation
over time).  This just bit me HARD once (with a user who didn't understand
what the heck was going on) and I strongly dislike encouraging those kinds
of "surprises".

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!