Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 01:23:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jaykuri@interaccess.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xcdplayer

> Aha! I installed the package under /usr/local, so XCdplayer went into
> /usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults instead. Copying it over fixed that.
> I don't know if this is a "bug" ? Is there some global X11 variable
> which tells where to find app-defaults?
    I did a little lookin, and came up with this (From the X(1) man page).
If you set the environment variable XAPPLRESDIR to the name of a
directory (just one) it will search that directory in addition to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.
    IE if XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults/ was set, it would
search in that dir. (note the final / is neccessary)

Ya learn something new every day.. Now I can clean out my X11R6 tree
again.

Until next time,
Jay K.