Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:17:59 +0100
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: vinum question : automatic mounting at boot, NFS?

Hija Olaf,

Sunday, January 16, 2000, 23:53:48, you seem to have written:
OS> On Sun 16 Jan 2000 at 20:54:03 +0100, rene@xs4all.nl wrote:

OS> Since it looks like the only thing that you really do by hand is:

>> bash-2.02# mount /dev/vinum/myvol /mnt/large

OS> putting it in /etc/fstab should be enough. Something like

OS> # filesys     mount point       type    access                  dump    fsck
OS> # location                              + opts                  freq    pass

OS> /dev/vinum/myvol /mnt/large     ffs     rw                      1       2

OS> should do it. Unless maybe this tries to mount it too early in the boot
OS> sequence. In that case, make it

OS> /dev/vinum/myvol /mnt/large     ffs     rw,noauto               1       2

OS> so that the initial mount -a will not try to mount it yet, and put the
OS> following in /etc/rc.local:

OS> mount /mnt/large

>> Greetings,
>>  rene <mailto:rene@xs4all.nl>

OS> -Olaf (none of this is vinum-sprecific, by te way).
Thanx for your reply. However, it didn't quite fix it; (after booting)

bash-2.02# mount /mnt/large
mount: exec mount_ffs not found in /sbin, /usr/sbin: No such file or directory

if I change the type field in /etc/fstab to 'ufs' instead of 'ffs', I
get a filesystemcheck error; /dev/vinum/rmyvol: device not configured

this is probably coz at that time, vinum hasn't started yet.
for completeness, the line from fstab:
/dev/vinum/myvol        /mnt/large      ufs     rw,noauto       1       2

Greetings,
 rene <mailto:rene@xs4all.nl>